Dental Nurse Training? Solutions!

I want  to be a Dental Nurse? What skills do I need? Role of a Dental Nurse.


How much? We currently charge £1150 (Excluding exam fees) for the year’s Part-time Course leading to the NEBDN National Diploma. Why so reasonable? No VAT is one reason. Another is, that we seek out less expensive venues and pass the saving on to you. We also do not employ staff which cuts down the cost for you.

Role of the dental nurse. The dentist, hygienist and therapist carry out dental treatments such as fillings, crowns, root treatments, extractions, dentures. Some practices offer orthodontic treatment and implants. Most practices carry out tooth whitening. The dental nurse is trained to assist the clinician during these procedures, and is trained to offer support to the patient. Many of these procedures are intricate, so it takes about 6 months to train to become proficient in these practical procedures.

I want to be a dental nurse. How do I start? We currently charge £1150 (Excluding exam fees) for the year’s Part-time NEBDN National Diploma Course. Contact us for an application form, which you fill in and send back to guarantee yourself a place.

Next. Eventually, you will have to find a job. Why? Part of the NEBDN qualification is practical experience within a dental surgery helping the dentist. Part-time OK? Yes. Because the Course takes a year, even if you are very part-time, there will be enough surgery time for you to complete the necessary practical work.  How do I find a job? We can help once you are on the Course by putting you in touch with dentists who have contacted us with a job vacancy. We charge no fee for this. Look in Newspapers, on the Internet, and ask at your local dental surgery. Do ALL Courses taught by elsewhere require me to find a job? Yes. There are various Courses teaching towards slightly different examinations, but all Courses will need you to fill in a practical portfolio in which you will write details of how you have supported the patient and the dentist during various treatments.  

Dental Nurse Courses. Where do we teach? Bracknell in Berkshire.  

GDC. How can dentists register their dental nurses with the GDC? When your trainee dental nurse is qualified [having successfully passed the new style NEBDN National Diploma, or having another qualification – for further information look at the GDC website].  After qualification, the DN can apply to the GDC to become registered. The GDC may refuse registration to persons with a Criminal Conviction or medical problems. Each case is different. Ideally, information about these issues should be sought from the GDC before starting a career in dental nursing.

GDC. When did the Law change, making it a requirement that qualified dental nurses must be registered with the GDC? From 31.7.08. Now, as a trainee dental nurse you must be on a Dental Nursing Course to work [clinical work assisting with treatment] in a dental surgery. if you are working in a dental surgery and are not on a Dental Nursing Course or registered onto the next available local Dental Nursing Course, the GDC state that you are working illegally. Additionally, you may only call yourself a dental nurse if you are qualified/registered with the GDC. All unqualified persons are called trainee dental nurses and it is illegal for an unqualified person or unregistered person to call themselves a “Dental Nurse”. For further information look on the GDC website.

Dental Nurse. Dental Surgery Assistant. What is the difference?
DSA is the old name. The British Association of Dental Nurses [BADN] and the National Examining Board for Dental Nurses [NEBDN] have changed their names [to “Dental Nurses”]. Now persons assisting the dentist are called “dental nurses” if they are registered with the GDC, or “trainee dental nurses” if they are not qualified and therefore cannot yet register with the GDC.

To become a qualified dental nurse and then to be able to apply to the GDC to become registered what qualifications do I need?
From 31.7.08, you must either be on a DN Course or qualified [or “grannied”] and registered with the General Dental Council [see the GDC website link on our link page] to work legally in a dental surgery. If you are not qualified/registered or on a DN Course you are working illegally. The types of qualifications which the GDC will accept are listed on the GDC website. From 31.7.08 only persons on the GDC register will be able to use the title “dental nurse”. Persons who are training towards being qualified will be known as trainee dental nurses. The GDC will take action against anyone calling themselves a “dental nurse” if they are not qualified and registered with the GDC.

Registered Dental Nurses. Do they have to take out Professional Indemnity Insurance? Yes. this is a requirement of the GDC. PII is very easy for dental nurses to organise – simply join your professional association! the British Association of Dental Nurses. You can join as a student member. When you qualify and you register with the GDC, Professional Indemnity Insurance can be included with Full Membership of the BADN.

Choosing a Dental Nursing Course? Important things to watch out for. All Dental Nursing Courses are taught to the GDC syllabus as are ours. So from that viewpoint, all courses are the same. However, always look to see what teaching qualifications, years of experience in the Dental Profession the Tutors have, and, most importantly how long they have been teaching the course! This is obviously very important! Next, check to make sure that the Tutors are NEBDN ExaminersIt is obviously best for you if they are, as they will know exactly what the NEBDN requires, and they will be able to guide you in the right direction. Then look to see if the Tutors are registered with the GDC – in other words, are they working within the Dental Profession. Lastly, look to see how long the Course is. If it is a year long, Part-time, we think this is just about right. A year give you enough time to take everything on board. Longer than this and things tend to drag on and  on.                                                                                                                                                 Please realise that an NVQ qualification also requires that an Examination be taken.                                           

What skills do I need? Your duties in the surgery will consist of a large number of practical procedures. So you need to be the type of person to carry these out efficiently, once you are trained. There are, of course, important requirements, that of sterilising the instruments correctly, and disinfecting and cleaning the surgery. So it is vital, that you are the type of person who will carry out all these duties to the highest standards. Some dental nurses work on reception. Here you will require communication skills, and accuracy, so that appointments are made correctly. Both in the surgery and on reception, you must be “good with people” and be able to relate to their needs and problems.

What qualifications do I need to get onto your Course?
Unlike some other NEBDN Courses, we do not require any school qualifications. We teach the Part-time NEBDN National Diploma Course leading to the National Examining Board for Dental Nurses [NEBDN] National Diploma in Dental Nursing Examination. The NEBDN qualification allows persons to apply to the GDC to apply to become registered. Students must be employed as trainee dental nurses [full or part-time] or be experienced. If you do not have a job, you can start on the Course, but it is best for you to have employment by about the 6th lecture [= about 2 months] when the practical subjects come along. It should be realised, that the Course requires good communication and literacy skills, as homeworks are set, and time in the lectures is set aside to practise towards the practical part of the NEBDN Diploma Examination. If English is not your first language, we leave it up to your Employing Dentist and you to decide whether your written and spoken English is sufficient.

What qualifications do you need to take the NEBDN Examination?
None. The NEBDN has no academic barriers to entry. The GDC specifies what has to be taught to gain the NEBDN qualification = the GDC syllabus. The NEBDN National Diploma Examination has 2 sections: 2 hours of Mutliple Choice Questions. If this is passed, then there is an extended Practical 6 weeks later. For this, good communication skills are required. Again, if English is not your first language, we leave it up to your Employing Dentist and you to decide whether your writen and spoken English will be sufficient to be successful in this Examination.

The NEBDN National Diploma in Dental Nursing Examinations. When do they take place? On the 3rd Saturday of April and November and they are held throughout the UK in NEBDN Examination Centres. Contact the NEBDN for more information. The NEBDN organise everything to do with the Examination, so contact them direct.

How many years do I have to have been a trainee dental nurse to take your Dental Nursing Course and sit the NEBDN National Diploma in Dental Nursing Examination?
Now, all trainee dental nurses working within a dental surgery must be on an accredited DN Course. The NEBDN will allow trainee dental nurses to sit the Examination only after they have completed a Dental Nursing Course. They will now award the full NEBDN Diploma in Dental Nursing qualification when the candidate has completed the Record of Experience, which is a portfolio in which are wrriten up procedures with which the trainee dental nurse has assisted. This portolio must be completed before application is made to the NEBDN to sit the Examination.  There is no longer an NEBDN requirement for 24 months of full-time work as a trainee dental nurse before the qualification is awarded.

How many years does the GDC “granny clause” specify? [A granny clause is the number of years that a dental nurse has been working in the profession which exempt the dental nurse from the requirement to take an examination to become qualified.]
Up to 31.7.2008, the GDC registered dental nurses who could prove they had worked for 4 years out of the last 8 [full/time] as a dental nurse. However, this scheme has now closed down. So anyone now wanting to work in a dental surgery will have to be on a Course, or registered with the GDC. Any queries about registration should be directed to the GDC website.

Who can take the post-qualification courses [which we teach] and examinations?
All GDC registered dental nurses can take the NEBDN Oral Health Education [OHE], NEBDN Dental Sedation Nursing and NEBDN Dental Radiography Courses and then go on to take the NEBDN Examinations. However our course for Dental Practice Management [an Introduction] is also open to all members of the Oral Healthcare Team.
There are other qualifications that a GDC registered DN can take and these are listed on the NEBDN website [please look on our links page.]

Can I take your Courses if I am not living in Berkshire?
Bracknell in Berkshire is where we offer Courses. We have taught trainee dental nurses from Wiltshire [Wilts] Oxfordshire [Oxon] Buckinghamshire [Bucks] Middlesex, London, Slough, Reading, Kent, Surrey, Hampshire [Hants] and Berkshire [Berks]. You are all welcome. if you live further afield, you are welcome as well! Remember that the Bracknell venue is very close to the bus stations as well.

"supporting you all the way through"

Web Design Hampshire by Hotbox Studios